In this guide, we want to teach you to Install VMware Tools on AlmaLinux 8.
VMware Tools is a suite of utilities that enhances the performance and improves the management of the virtual machine’s guest operating system. It is not installed by default and is not required for the guest OS functionality, but offers many benefits, including:
- optimized NIC drivers.
- optimized SCSI drivers.
- virtual machine heartbeat.
- enhanced graphics and mouse performance.
- time synchronization.
- ability to shut down the virtual machine.
- better memory management.
Steps To Install VMware Tools on AlmaLinux 8
To install the VMware Tools, you must have installed AlmaLinux on a Virtual machine. Then, follow the steps below to complete this guide.
Set up VMware Tools on AlmaLinux 8
The first step is to check whether you have VMware tools installed on your server or not. To do this, you can use the command below:
If you get the following error, then VMware Tools is not currently installed.
bash: vmware-toolbox-cmd: command not found
At this point, you can use the commands below to install VMware tools.
If you are running a GUI on AlmaLinux, install
dnf install open-vm-tools-desktop
If you aren’t running a GUI, you only need to install the
dnf install open-vm-tools
Note: If any of the VMware Tools packages are already installed, these same commands will also update them.
Finally, reboot the system to apply the changes:
Once you load back into AlmaLinux, you can enjoy the benefits of VMware Tools, such as the ability to copy and paste between the host system and virtual machine.
The following components are installed when you install VMware Tools:
- the VMware Tools service (vmtoolsd.exe on Windows guests or vmtoolsd on Linux guests). This service synchronizes the time in the guest operating system with the time in the host operating system.
- a set of VMware device drivers.
- a set of scripts that helps you automate guest operating system operations.
- the VMware user process (VMwareUser.exe on Windows guests or vmware-user on Linux guests), which enables you to copy and paste text between the guest operating system and the host operating system…
For more information, you can visit the VMware Tools Docs.
At this point, you have learned to Install VMware Tools on AlmaLinux 8.
Hope you enjoy it. You may be like these articles on the Orcacore website:
Install FreeOffice on AlmaLinux 8
Install PostgreSQL 15 on AlmaLinux 8